Hocking Hills State Park



We left North Bend this weekend (Ohio, not Oregon), and made a little detour from our planned route.  I had been reading about how great Hocking Hills State Park is, but with it being 2 1/2 hours away from our camp site, it wasn't practical to visit in one day.  We decided to drive over and spend the night, then do some hiking.  

The drive there was a little tight for pulling Kevin through, but Jeff handled it like a pro.  He's quickly gotten used to tricky maneuvering and is a lot more comfortable on narrow and windy roads. I'm sure he still prefers the main roads, though!  


Our campsite had the feel of Brookings.  Aside from the air being a little more humid, it felt like camping at Loeb.



I read that this place is heavily populated, and that it would be wise to go early.  The giant parking lot was already filling up when we arrived at 8 am.  By the time we left a few hours later, it was packed!

There was a plaque posted at the entrance that told about a reclusive man who, back in the late 1800's, made his home in the caves. I wouldn't want to live in a cave but if I did have to live in one, THIS would be the location!


Everyone agrees:  This hike is the best thing we have experienced in Ohio so far.



I took too many photos, but I'll just post a few here.  This is Jackson at Upper Falls.  He thought it was neat to walk behind a waterfall.  Too bad it was only a baby one.  We're planning to visit Niagara Falls soon and I read that there is a tour that goes behind it.  I don't know if we're up for that, but we'll see!


Like Smith Rock, the trail went down, down, down in the beginning... 


which meant up, up, up at the end.
(Would have loved to trade this humid air for central Oregon's crisp, dry air!)



Lower Falls

After our hike, we went back to the RV to close up shop and head north.  It was just a quick stop over, but we all really loved Hocking Hills.  I wish we could have spent more time there!

Comments

Popular Posts