Grand Canyon, Day 1




Here are a few photos from our first day at the Grand Canyon.  We went up early-ish on Thanksgiving Day, and got to pick up Jackson's Junior Ranger packet and check out the visitor's center before we went to see the canyon.  These pictures were taken at Mather Point and the area around there.


It was 37 degrees and an icy wind was blowing in our faces.  Even with all of our layers, we were still cold.  Later that night, I realized that I had gotten wind burns on my cheeks!



I'm trying to think of something to say about the Grand Canyon that won't be redundant and boring.

It's massive, vast, seemingly endless,
and stunning.
It is a very grand canyon.

(Whoops, went and said all the redundant and boring things.)


Okay, okay, let me think.  Besides the shock of the temperature, the thing that surprised me most was how high up it is.  There isn't much to use for perspective down there.  The only thing you can make out to give you a frame of reference of how high up you are is a tiny sliver of a trail here and there.  We couldn't make out any people walking on the trails, but could see the paths that people take.  It is very high up!

The other thing that surprised me is less positive and I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, but I was surprised to find that it is less fantastic when you are trying to enjoy this spectacular creation along with 1,000 other people.  I thought that it wouldn't matter to me because the canyon would be awesome and I wouldn't care.  Instead, I found that I felt rushed along by the people behind me in "line" (even though there are no actual lines, it feels that way in spots.)  When we go back, we will be going to a few less popular viewpoints.




These birds were in a battle.  It was crazy to see them attacking one another!






After a wonderful Thanksgiving, we spent the day today in Flagstaff and Williams, checking out shops and buying a few souvenirs as well as some clothing items we needed.  The plan is to head back to the canyon tomorrow for a hike and a ranger talk, as well as taking the shuttle to a few other viewpoints.  We are going with a lot more layers on this time!


Comments

  1. Somewhere around there is a train that takes you back into the Wild West... I forget exactly where it is, but ask, it's really fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! We actually stayed at the Grand Canyon Railway Park, so we heard trains a lot! :) I know people say that's annoying, but I don't mind the sound at all. Have you visited the Grand Canyon? We were going to check out the Flinstone's Bedrock City but it seemed cheesy and my kids never watched that show, so they didn't really care to see it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts