Our Homeschool: Vincent Van Gogh Artist Study



This is our first year to give a real artist study a try and we're starting with Vincent Van Gogh.  Please don't think me boring for picking an artist that everybody knows about.  It's just that you see his art everywhere, and that's why I wanted to start with it.  I can save the tougher stuff for when my kids are in high school.  For now I just want them to know the paintings that they are most likely to see in their daily life.  




Today I stopped by our local library and picked up "What Makes a Van Gogh a Van Gogh?"  We'll be reading through it over the next few weeks as we learn and attempt to duplicate what we see.  I'm still not sure how far into this study we will go, but I did enjoy making a neat little display of Van Gogh's artwork...




This is a cheap digital photo frame that I loaded with copies of Vincent Van Gogh's work.  I picked all of his most popular paintings as well as a few less-known ones.  It stays on during school and as we learn I hope to familiarize the kids with at least the names of the paintings.


I also found a neat online jigsaw puzzle linked at Amy's homeschool site that I know my kids are going to love!  They have more of his works on their main page here.

Here are a few FREE online printables of a few paintings that I'm going to lay out for the kids to color while I read his biography aloud:

And this woman has a great list compiled of online resources for Van Gogh study!  I found several things that I hope to use for our study.

I would love to hear from anyone who has had fun doing artist studies in the past, so please send me a link to your artist study posts!  If you're like me and just starting out with artist study, check out Amy in Peru's blog about what she does with her little ones here .  I think I need to go back and take a peek myself.  She inspires me so! 

Comments

Popular Posts