Thursday, April 29, 2010

Moving with Kids: Tips and Tricks



 

So I was thinking today...  

We move a lot, and it seems that people are taking notice.  I can't tell you how many comments I've gotten from friends and family this past few weeks!  This weekend we will be embarking on our 10th move in 9 years.  We move so much that it doesn't feel the slightest bit strange to have our house all packed up and to be sleeping in my living room (it saves Jeff from having to move our heavy mattress downstairs on moving day and allowed me to clean the master bed and bath ahead of time.)  

But even being the experts that we are (he he), moving with kids can be stressful!  Just caring for your family's basic needs is a full-time job, so it can be a little tricky when you add in everything that a move requires.  

Some of our past moves have been a little rough, but thankfully we've figured out a sort of system that works for us.  Here are a few tips and tricks!
   
Keep Christ as your center.
For me the most important thing is to keep my focus on the Lord.  I try to not sleep in though I'm especially tired from the extra work.  In those early morning hours, my Lord gives me strength for the day and I am never left without encouragement and instruction. 


Keep the kids nearby!
I don't know about you, but sometimes I fight frustration when I'm working on something and my kids are all the way in another part of the house and have a disagreement or a need that requires my presence.  I have learned that  it's so much easier to have them close by! 
 

Special moving activities!  
A few of my kids' favorites are:
  
Making box castles!  

Box castles make a big disastrous mess, but they keep kiddos busy for hours, so it's worth it!  I just give them a space that I'm not going to be working in and tell them to not bend the boxes too much.  In the above picture, I was working on the kitchen and they were in the living room.  

Decorate the boxes! 

Why not?  What does it hurt?  Give the kid a pen and tell them to go nuts, but ONLY ON THE BOXES!!!  I usually use washable markers for the little ones so I can rest easy and get some packing done while they create masterpieces!  Megan once drew out an entire story on the sides of a box.  It was so neat!

Change it up!
I think it's also fun to change things around during a move.  Don't try to keep life going along as normal because you will be very disappointed when you can't keep up!  Instead, go with the flow and live the adventure!  (Right, Tonya?)

One thing that they LOVED was getting to swap beds, just to see what it was like for everyone else to sleep in this house.  They also had lunches picnic-style on the floor and got to stay up late and play Legos (which made them sleep in the next day--YES!)

Jordan didn't want to sleep in a "boy bed" because "Princesses don't sleep in boy beds."  I'm sure Jeff is very happy with that resolve.

Put 'em to work!
Another thing that is important but can be more challenging is to actually have them do some of the work.  They want to help so badly, so why not take a minute or five and let them have a go at it?  Yes we can do it better and faster, but why is better and faster better?  Did you follow that?  ;)  Jeff is especially good about taking the time to involve the kids.


This week he had two of the kids mow the lawn.  The kids had a blast helping their daddy, and practiced a skill too!  Never mind that it took much longer than usual...



Today Jackson decided that he was daddy's helper.  I love watching my little man work alongside my big man.  How he tries to copy everything his dad does.


I have to admit though, this did not end well.  Jackson grew tired of loading the truck and began to wander a little, so Jeff sent him in the house.  

Jackson came upstairs with teary eyes and said: 

"Daddy fired me!"

Stifling laughter, I asked "Well do you know why?" 

"Yes," he said reluctantly.

"Why then?"

 (Thoughtful for a moment.)

"I don't think I want to talk about it."

Ha! 


Well that's all I've got.  I hope that you have enjoyed the pictures of my ragamuffin children (because that's another tip of mine:  Don't worry about lookin' pretty while you pack!)

We're so excited to head out and begin the next chapter of our journey!
-------------------------

This will most likely be my last real post until after we are settled on the coast, but I'll try my best to add a few pictures (for the grandparents.)

Lord bless you and 

Bye-bye central Oregon!

Comments

Popular Posts